WHAT IS ENGINEERED TIMBER FOR BIEBER WINDOWS AND DOORS ?
Engineered timber is a structural timber product composed of several layers of dimensioned lumber glued together. By laminating several smaller pieces of wood, a single large, strong, structural member can be manufactured from smaller timber, thus making it more environmentally friendly than standard softwood. This product is also known as Glued-Laminated Timber or Glulam . BIEBER range of Tilt & Turn windows and doors is manufactured only in Engineered Timber FSC as we believe that this befits a 21st century product.
Advantages of Engineered Timber FSC for Bieber Windows and doors ?
- It is free from excessive shrinking and setting.
- Allows immediate trimming or other decoration, while traditional timber requires 1-2 years for final settling.
- Unlike traditional timber, engineered timber is free from dry-cracks and twisting, i.e. the windows stay as beautiful and as air-tight as they were at the beginning and there is no need to seal and caulk cracks.
- Engineered timber is stronger, longer lasting and better-looking than whole timber because the defects are removed.
- Engineered timber technology is capable of producing large cross-sections from ordinary lumber. There is no need to use thick aged trees that are rare and expensive. That is often why the laminated timber of large cross-section appears to be less expensive than a whole one.
- Members can be made up of the same strength grade of timber throughout or may incorporate higher grade material in the upper and lower layers where the stress concentrations are higher.
- Virtually unlimited in depth, width, and length*.
- Can be manufactured in a wide range of shapes*.
- Provides higher design strengths than sawn lumber.
- Provides better utilization of the available timber resource.
- Technological advances in laminating over the past four decades have further increased the suitability and performance of wood for modern timber window applications.